Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Homemade Falafel

Homemade Falafel! I did it!

Falafel is honestly one of my most favorite things ever. I've been wanting to make it homemade for a long time now and on Sunday we decided to give it a shot. We ran into a slight bump though, because after I had prepared all the ingredients and then the recipe said to let the mixture sit in the refrigerator for "several hours."  At 7pm on Sunday night, I was obviously not willing to wait several hours. So, I put it in the fridge and we decided to finish making it last night instead.  So, if you're going to make this recipe, make sure you plan ahead and allow a few hours for the mixture to sit in the fridge!

Making the batter was really easy. You simply put all the ingredients into a food processor and mix them all up. Then, once you take them out of the fridge, form the batter into small balls.  Fry them up, and serve with pita, hummus, salad, whatever floats your boat.

Here is the recipe I used, from Epicurious.  It was pretty simple. I had never fried anything before ever, and I was able to do this easily, by myself. And they really came out perfectly. Crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. I even re-warmed some in the oven for Santosh later on in the evening.

A few pointers:

  • I found it really helpful to read the reviews of the recipe before I started. A few people gave tips on frying (make sure to turn on the vent fan - good tip!) and some people altered the recipe slightly. 
  • The only change to the recipe that I made was that I used whole wheat flour instead of regular flour.
  • Wear long sleeves when you fry. Some oil will splatter when you drop the falafel ball in. Protect your arms!
  • This recipe made a lot of falafel (the pictures below only show half of what I made).  Santosh and I definitely wont be able to eat it all.  If you're only cooking for 2 people, you could half this recipe and have more than enough for 2 people.  I'll probably freeze the leftovers.

So - pictures!
Here is the dough right before I put it in the refrigerator over night.



Here are some of the falafel balls before I fried them.



Here are some of the falafel balls post-frying.



And here was my dinner plate!


I had half of a whole wheat pita, some falafel, salad, tabouli (store bought) and tahini sauce.  We made the tahini sauce by mixing one part tahihi to one part water, and adding lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. I also had some hummus on the side (store bought).

Santosh and I both loved it. If you love falafel as much as we do, definitely try this. Have a great night everyone! xo


3 comments:

  1. Hi! That looks sooo yummy! Thanks for sharing. Question - do you think these could be baked instead of fried? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah I always forget to read the recipe all the way through before I begin. I've had to make emergency trips to the grocery store many times. Looks delicious! Thanks for the great recipe and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look incredible! I love the entire finished product - that wrap is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete