I know it's a little late to be posting about Thanksgiving, but since I don't post as often as I used to, I wanted to share a couple of recipes that I made on Thanksgiving because they were really, really good. The first one is butternut squash and ginger soup. It was really good and I think you all should try it!
Butternut Squash and Ginger Soup
4 lbs. peeled and cubed butternut squash
2 medium onions, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
3 Tbsp. Earth Balance
1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
8 cups low sodium vegetable broth
about 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- Halve, seed, peel and cube the butternut squash. Set aside.
- Dice the onion and garlic.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add the earth balance and onion. Season with salt. Stir occasionally and cook until the onion is soft (about 3 minutes)
- Add the garlic and cook about one more minute
- Add the squash, ginger, and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until the soup is smooth.
- Add more salt to taste, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Garnish with more red pepper flakes, if you like it spicy!
This soup was really delicious, super healthy, and really easy to make. Everyone loved it.
The other recipe that I made for Thanksgiving which I totally loved was the Engine 2 Diet's Vegetable Lasagna. This lasagna is vegan and is incredibly delicious and nourishing. I first saw this recipe when I was watching Forks over Knives and really wanted to try it. I don't have the Engine 2 cookbook (yet!), but I was happy to see that they have this recipe online so I took it from there. It was easy and fun to make. There are tons of vegetables in it - even sweet potato. The sweet potato was fantastic in it. I highly recommend this recipe!
We had a great Thanksgiving and these recipes were fun, easy and delicious.
I hope to be posting more often again really soon. Have a great week, everyone!